I was building yet another WordPress site and kept on getting 404s for my custom post type (CPT) links. It was very unusual, because it was a clean, new install with 2012 theme. To troubleshoot the issue, I ran down the list of usual suspects:
- Is ModRewrite enabled (Yes, because other pretty URLs worked)
- Was the CPT public and publicly queryable: Check
- Did the CPT rewrites work with just plain /%postname%/ – Ditto
I was trying to use custom taxonomy terms in my URLs with the help of the Custom Post Type Permalinks plugin, but I had used it numerous times without any problems in the past.